Frequently Asked Questions from Renters
How does Apartment People differ from online apartment aggregators — like craiglist, zillow or apartments.com?
Deciding where to live is a critical choice that can impact your lifestyle in many ways — and navigating the leasing process today requires a specialized skillset.
Working with Apartment People gives you the edge in a number of significant ways:
- Aggregators can only show a fraction of what is available. Apartment People can show you the most comprehensive rental property availabilities that the Chicago market has to offer. In addition to showing you any of the apartments listed on the MLS that fit your criteria — just like the aggregator websites — ONLY Apartment People can take it to the next level, by also giving you access to the largest collection of private listings available anywhere: including sought-after 2-flats, lofts, courtyards, and even single-family homes.
- Even more importantly, when you work with Apartment People, you receive the full benefit of our decades of award-winning experience in the fast-paced Chicago rental market … plus our deep market knowledge of neighborhoods & apartments … paired with an unmatched level of personal service & attention — and, all at NO COST to you.
- We offer you complete assistance with EVERY aspect of your apartment finding journey … from understanding your unique needs & rental budget … to locating the perfect place to live … to navigating the often complex application and lease process … to negotiating rent details on your behalf with the landlord … even giving you the keys to your new apartment, so you are ready to move into your new home!
How does Apartment People differ from other locator services?
Since we do not own or manage any properties — unlike other locator services — our Leasing Consultants offer uniquely objective and unbiased advice throughout your entire search process. We’re happy only when you are satisfied; whichever home we help you choose!
Most importantly, because Apartment People maintains a vast private listings database, we’re able to offer you the broadest selection of available Chicago apartments, not just what can be found on the MLS. Other locator services and apps are only able to offer what is listed in the MLS, which is a far more limited selection.
When should I start looking for an apartment?
We recommend, whenever possible, that you begin your apartment search 45 to 60 days before your desired move-in date, in order to give you the greatest range of options to choose from.
However — even if you have a more limited or even immediate timeframe — we can certainly help you! We always maintain an inventory of apartments that are ready to move into, 365 days a year.
Why do I need to make an appointment with Apartment People?
While walk-ins are always welcome, securing an appointment — especially during our busiest period over the weekends — is highly recommended.
How long will my appointment take?
Appointment times vary in length, depending on the number of apartments you choose to see. We generally recommend allowing 2-3 hours for your appointment.
What should I bring to my appointment?
It’s a good idea to bring any documents that may be useful in the approval process; job offer letters, past rental contacts, check stubs, any co-signer information, as well as a preferred payment method, so that we may start processing your application. (Link to a CHECKLIST??)
Is Apartment People really a free service?
Yes, because the landlords and properties that we represent pay our fees, our service is FREE to renters.
What fees should I be prepared for at my application?
At the time of your application, you should always be prepared with your first month’s rent — either with cash, check or credit card.
Additionally, you should be prepared for a number of potential property fees that may be different from landlord to landlord. And you should note that these fees can vary widely — so it is best to ask your Apartment People Leasing Consultant for the most up-to-date and accurate information. Typically, these may include:
- Credit Check, ranging from $15 to $80
- Security Deposit, typically one month’s rent
- Move-in Fees
- Pet Fees
- Monthly Parking Fees
Where are Apartment People’s offices located?
We have offices in Lakeview, River North, and Evanston — open 7 days a week for your convenience. For hours & directions please click here.
What areas of the City does Apartment People cover?
We represent apartments from the Hyde Park to Evanston and everything in between.
What type of apartments do Apartment People handle?
We list everything from studios to 4 bedrooms, in a variety of buildings types including; walk-ups, high-rises, lofts, condos, townhomes, and more.
Do you have apartments that accept pets?
We have many pet-friendly apartments available in a variety of neighborhoods and price ranges.
What if I need a short-term or furnished apartment?
Although the majority of our apartments are unfurnished with a 12-month lease, flexible lease terms and furnished options are always available.