Frequently Asked Questions from Landlords
What is the process to list my property with Apartment People?
The choice is yours! There are a number of ways to list your property with Apartment People — all depending upon your individual needs and preferences.
- You may begin the listing process online by clicking through to our interactive form here.
- You can e-mail Landlord Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
- You may call our Landlord Services department at 773-248-0746
- You may visit us at our flagship facility at 3121 North Broadway to discuss the particulars of your property with our team. We can help you better understand our overall process & capabilities. We will answer any questions that you have. And, we can even set up an appointment with our Multi-Media Services team to take professionals photos that will showcase your property at its best.
What services will I receive from Apartment People?
Apartment People provides Landlords with an array of customizable services, depending upon your unique needs. These include:
- Helping you establish a fair market rate for your lease
- Dispatching a professional photographer to showcase your unit in its best possible light
- Listing syndication to actively searching renters on the most popular online rental websites — including craigslist, apartments.com, Zillow and our own heavily trafficked website: apartmentpeople.com
- Maintaining the keys for your property in our Keys department — and even making duplicate keys for you on site, if needed
- 7-day a week representation of your property to potential tenants
- Tenant Evaluation — we can tailor a package of tools to meet your specific needs for evaluating potential Tenants
- Lease Preparation & Signing — our Processing team will draft the lease, including all required disclosures & documentation, and coordinate tenant signing
Where will my property be listed, how do you market my property?
Our marketing department utilizes the latest digital marketing techniques to drive quality traffic to our website (Apartmentpeople.com) — along with some of the busiest rental websites including Zillow, Tulia, Apartments.com, Craigslist and hundreds of others. Furthermore, our established brand name and quality reputation give us a dominant presence both online and offline and attract thousands of qualified renters yearly.
How will I know if my rent is competitive?
Our experienced Landlord Services team has deep experience and up-to-the-minute Chicago market knowledge. We will help you price your rent appropriately so that it not only attracts a qualified pool of renters but also helps you achieve your financial objectives.
Can I continue to rent my apartment on my own?
Absolutely. Apartment People is only going to earn a commission if and when you approve one of the applicants that we provide. On a non-exclusive basis, an owner is welcome to continue to market the property and pursue renters on their own.
However, you may also choose an Exclusive Listing Agreement with Apartment People that enables us to offer you the highest level of service and our most comprehensive set of benefits.
Would you advise me on any work that may be needed on the unit — I haven’t seen it recently?
Our seasoned Landlord Services team will be happy to advise you on market conditions and suggest recommendations for improvements base on current tenant preferences/interests. We will conduct a “Rehab Cost vs. Return Analysis” for you.
How much does your service cost?
There are no upfront costs for Apartment People’s services. We collect the potential tenant’s first full month’s rent at the time of their application — which will only be retained as our commission after you approve the application.
Security Deposit vs. Move-in-Fees — what is the difference?
Security Deposits — equal to one to two month’s rent — have traditionally been charged by Landlords to cover any Tenant damage to the apartment during the life of a lease. If there was no damage to the apartment, the Tenant would receive these funds back at the conclusion of their lease, plus very minimal interest.
However, over the past several years, Landlords & Property Managers have begun to move away from the practice of collecting Security Deposits in favor of collecting a one-time, non-refundable “Move-In Fee” at the time of lease signing.
Will you help me with photos of my property?
Absolutely! Our professional Multi-Media Services team is available to you at no charge to take high-quality photos of your property that will help us showcase the apartment in its best possible light. These photos will be used in all of our marketing efforts to reach potential tenants. Studies have shown conclusively that properties with professional photography have a higher likelihood of renting than those with amateur photos, or no photos at all.
What steps can I take to ensure success?
One of the most important things to ensure success in the Leasing process, is to provide Apartment People with keys to your property and ensure that there is easy accessibility while the apartment is listed with us. And, if your property is occupied by a current Tenant, that you make sure they are fully aware that the apartment is being marketed and shown to prospective Tenants.
Additionally, it is important that you have a clean & well-maintained property, so that it is always “showing-ready” when we have a prospective Tenant who wants to see the unit.